Pickleballlane is reader-supported. If you click a link on this page and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Pickleball is played outdoors as well as indoors. The game involves moving around the court quickly, shifting your weight from one to other in an instant, sudden stops, jumping and leaping at times while moving your upper body laterally to hit the ball accurately. Thus the importance of a good pair of pickleball sports shoes that fits you well is comfortable and, has enough traction to avoid any slippage, is of utmost importance.
You also need to remember that ‘one shoe fits all’ may not hold true. You need shoes with a specific type of outsoles and construction for indoor and outdoor pickleball. The surfaces of both these courts have a different characteristic which decides which type of shoes would be more appropriate.
Here is a list of the best pickleball shoes for both men and women. We have also indicated which shoes are best suitable for indoor or outdoor pickleball. So take your pick from these excellent shoes and excel in your favorite game.
Choosing a Pickleball Shoe
A. Why Not Wear Just Any Shoe?
Wearing just any shoe for playing pickleball may have serious consequences.
Pickleball is a fast sport involving plenty of turning, twisting, shuffling, jumps and hops. There is plenty of side to side or lateral movements.
Ordinary shoes are not designed to handle these lateral movements. If you do not have the right shoes, you may injure your ankles, toes or heels.
You may need orthopedic treatment and even surgery. All these miseries can be avoided by using the right pair of shoes when you want to play pickleball.
B. Choosing the Right Shoe
Although there are specific shoes designed for sports like volleyball and tennis, so far we do not have any pickleball shoes.
However, you can use the court shoes, if you play pickleball indoors and the tennis shoes in case you play outdoors.
Court shoes are shoes designed for indoor court use and are most likely volleyball shoes. These shoes have rubber soles for traction and grip on the court surface. They also have stability built into the sides.
The other type of shoes that can be used for playing pickleball outdoors are tennis shoes.
These are bulky, tough and heavy shoes, which is good as they absorb the impact. They have flat soles without a rubber.
Whichever shoes you choose, they must be comfortable and must have sufficient cushioning and lateral and side support to assist you while twisting and turning the body.
C. Indoor and Outdoor Playing Can Change The Requirements
Your pickleball shoe must be appropriate for the surface on which you wish to play.
Indoor surfaces in a gymnasium are made of wood. The polished floor is smooth and lacks traction. They are often very slippery in case of presence of dust. Thus you will need a shoe that can provide good traction so that you do not slip while moving.
The shoes must also provide good grip so that you can move easily and fast.
Rubber soles are ideal for such requirements. The non-marking types of soles do not leave ugly marks on the surface.
You should choose volleyball or squash shoes to play pickleball on such surface.
In the case of outdoor play, the surface is made of asphalt or grass.
You need tennis shoes or even trainers as they are designed for such floors. Also, the shoes must protect against the rough impact.
D. Shoes to Avoid
Some shoes are not designed to withstand the requirements and rigors of pickleball. You must avoid such shoes as these will affect your play, as well as cause injury to your feet. Some of these types of shoes are:
- The Running shoes – Running shoes have very thin soles and can be bent at the middle. These lack lateral support and may get your feet twisted. They also lack heel and toe support.
- Lounge shoes or loafers – These shoes are not made for any active sport nor offer sufficient cushioning.
- Hiking shoes – These are made tough to withstand the terrain and bad weather. They have thick gripping soles and are very bulky, rigid and heavy.
- Trekking shoes – These are meant for trekking and built accordingly. They are not at all suitable for pickleball.
These tips and suggestions should be sufficient to make you well-informed. You should now be able to choose the particular shoe for your pickleball games.
If you do not wish to have two separate shoes for Indoors and Outdoors, then you must choose a comfortable and well-cushioned tennis shoe. It must have non-marking soles so that you can use it indoors too.
Best Pickleball Shoes for Men
1. Asics Men Gel-Rocket 8 Volleyball shoe (Indoor)
ASICS is an acronym for “Anima Sana In Corpore Sano” – a Latin phrase which means “Sound Mind In A Sound Body”. They have been in the business of sports footwear for more than 50 years with their R&D centre in Kobe, Japan.
The ASICS Gel-Rocket 8 shoe is a proven product that comes with enhanced traction, thanks to its gum rubber outsoles. It provides an excellent fit and extra shock-absorbing cushioning. Despite its exceptional premium features, it is most economically priced.
The ASICS Gel-Rocket shoe has the patented Forefoot Gel® cushioning system which prevents shock during impact, and Trusstic System® technology to reduce the weight of the sole unit without compromising with the structural ruggedness of the shoe. The NC Rubber sole contains natural rubber to provide soft yet sure traction.
This shoe, besides pickleball, can be used to play other indoor games. It is ideal for any sport that requires jumps and leaps and sudden lateral movements. It comes in a variety of color combination including Navy/White, White/Deep Ocean, Black/White, Indigo Blue/Silver/White, Flash Yellow/Silver.
- Lightweight and provides exceptional fit and comfort.
- Good traction and grip on indoor surfaces.
- Breathable meshed uppers for air circulation and preventing heat build-up.
- Offers great value for money as it is very economically priced.
- The sole is soft and feels a tad bit gummy.
- Not very long-lasting due to the soft cushioning construction.
2. Asics Men’s Gel Dedicate 5 Shoe (Outdoor)
ASICS performance-driven shoes date back to 1949 when the founder Mr. Kihachiro Onitsuka started the company in Kobe, Japan. The Gel Dedicate 5 shoes provide a great combination of comfort and stability. It is an outdoor pickleball shoe that is suitable for new and old players.
The Gel Dedicate 5 shoe has solid rubber outsoles with a herringbone pattern for good traction yet providing total comfort. The non-marking rubber outsole grips the court well and is ideal for any surface. The soft and flexible upper made of synthetic leather and mesh combination has a breathable design.
The EVA midsoles feature ASICS Forefoot Gel Cushioning System to soften the impact. This takes out the impact when you jump, lunge, or stop abruptly while turning and twisting your upper body during the game.
The ASICS Trusstic System Technology reduces the weight of the soles making it lightweight without compromising on the strength and structural integrity of the shoe.
The shoe is available in several color combination such as Dark Blue/Silver/White, Azure/White, Black/Silver, Illusion Blue/Silver, White/Silver, Dark Blue/Silver/White.
- Forefoot Gel Cushioning System to lessen the impact on contact with the court
- Mesh uppers provide airflow and breathability
- Solid rubber soles for enhanced traction and grip
- Cushioned EVA midsoles
- Good fit and comfort for a long duration
- Narrow fit so people with wider feet may find it quite tight.
- Not very suitable for hard indoor pickleball court
3. Adidas Men’s Barricade Club shoe (Outdoor)
This shoe is suitable for pickleball players as it is especially designed for outdoor clay courts and provides good traction during rallies, thanks to its rubber outsoles. It is also comfortably lightweight and has a breathable mesh upper.
There is an abrasion-resistant ADITUFF™ toe that wraps around the toe and forefoot. This helps provide protection against foot drag during serves, volleys, and returns involving lateral movements.
The 360-degree TPU support foil gives durability and lateral stability. The midsole is made of lightweight EVA material and the 3D Torsion provides midfoot support. The full-length Adiprene+ under the heels provides comfort and cushioning.
The Adiwear outsoles make the shoe durable and last longer. The shoe is available in color combination of Black/Matte Silver/White and a few more shades.
- A product from a well-known reputed brand
- ADITUFF™ toe protection
- Adiprene+ under the heels for cushioning impacts.
- Lightweight EVA midsoles with the 3D Torsion for support while making shots.
- Adiwear outsoles for traction and durability.
- Premium price as compared to other pickleball shoe option
4. K-Swiss Hypercourt 2.0 Men's-Tennis-Shoe (Outdoor)
The upper incorporates the DuraWrap which prevents toe-dragging. The Stay-Tied Laces keep the laces firmly tied up and firm. There is also a Heel Grip lining with interlocking fibers to grip the socks and prevent the heels from slipping out of the shoes while in action.
The midsoles have GuideGlide cushioning all around to ensure comfort and a good fit. The K-EVA special formula provides cushioning and durability. The Ortholite moisture management prevents bad odor due to perspiration while keeping the feet cool.
The outsoles are made of AOSTA 7.0 high-density rubber and have DragGuard™ on the toes and heels to make it more durable and prevent it from wearing out.
The shoe is available in several eye-pleasing color combinations including White/Glacier/ Grey/Black/Red.
- The shoe has a premium look and feel.
- The uppers are redesigned for comfort and a good feel.
- The rubber soles provide adequate traction on the court.
- The Heel Grip lining is a good touch.
- Stay-Tied Laces keeps the shoe well tied up.
- The shoe-sizes may be a bit confusing, needs to be checked carefully for a good fit.
5. Asics Gel-Court FF tennis shoe (Indoor)
The ASICS Gel-Court FF sports shoe from ASIC has lots of technology built into it. The first thing you will notice is the absence of a ‘tongue’ – the Mono-Sock Fit System replaces the traditional tongue. This is an elastic internal sleeve which provides a “sock-like” fit. The construction is seamless to make it smooth and friction-free for comfort and long wear.
The shoe has responsive Flytefoam technology in the midsoles, which ensures superior cushioning and comfort while being lightweight. Another of its technology is in the Trusstic System used in the outsoles to reduce the overall weight of the shoe while maintaining its structural strength. The outsoles also contain the ASICS High Abrasion Rubber or AHAR® Plus which is an extremely durable compound. This ensures durability along with support.
There is also the P-Guard™ toe protector which also enhances the durability of the shoe. Rearfoot and Forefoot GEL® Cushioning technology absorbs impact and allows easier feet movements while it is being lifted or placed down.
- The shoe is full of technological advances and made from the latest materials.
- The shoes have the snug glove-like fit.
- It has a seamless mesh upper for comfort.
- The shoe provides matchless comfort, cushioning, traction, and support.
- Take care to ascertain the right size.
- It is not very durable or long lasting.
- The midsoles being made of softer material, do not provide good arch support.
6. Head Men's Grid 2.0 (Indoor)
HEAD Men’s Grid 2.0 Low Shoes has some outstanding features. The Head’s Cooling System inside the shoe is an innovative system that ensures air-flow with its breathability which helps in removing the heat and keeping the feet cool.
The Head’s HyBrasion Technology comprises of using a high abrasion rubber compound to the high-stress areas of shoe soles. This provides good traction on toes and heels and prevents slip-ups. The outsoles are non-marking so it is safe for playing in indoor wooden-floored courts.
The uppers are made of air mesh synthetic leather and there is a breathable textile lining. The midsoles are made of premium grade EVA material. The shoe is available in color combination of Black/White, Black/White, and White/Navy among other color combinations.
- The synthetic faux-leather upper gives a comfortable feel.
- The meshed uppers and the Cooling System provide ample breathability.
- The HyBrasion rubber soles provide good traction, and unmatched grip and balance.
- Very economically priced.
- Take care to ascertain the right size.
- It is not very durable or long-lasting.
- The midsoles being made of softer material, do not provide good arch support.
Best Pickleball Shoes for Women
1. ASICS Women’s Gel-Rocket 7 (Indoor) (Top Pick)
The ASICS shoe sports footwear company was started by Kihachiro Onitsuka in Japan in 1949 and the name was adopted in 1977. The performance-driven ASIC shoes have become the sports shoes by choice, for all court games.
The ASIC Gel-Rocket 7 is a light-weight shoe that is easy on the feet of women. It is made very comfortable with padded collar and tongue. The uppers are made of breathable material that prevents excessive sweat and heat.
Some of the outstanding features of the shoes are:
- NC Rubber Outsole compound with natural rubber content for enhanced traction on the court by offering better grip.
- Trusstic system in the outsoles to reduces the weight of the outsoles while maintaining the structural strength of the shoe. It also provides better support to the entire foot.
- Forefoot Gel cushioning system in specific areas of the outsoles. This helps in reducing the impact of shocks while jumping and hopping during play.
ASICS Women Gel Rocket 7 comes in alluring color combinations that look really cute. Some of these color combinations are White/Magenta/Black, Powder Blue/White/Indigo Blue
- Great looks and excellent fit.
- Very comfortable and can be worn for long hours.
- Provides excellent traction on the court surface.
- Good shock-absorption on impact
- Some users had an issue with the sizes as printed on the shoes.
- Few users found the under-soles to be not very durable.
2. ASICS Women’s Gel-Rocket 8 (Indoor)
The ASICS Women’s Gel Rocket 8 is designed for comfort and fit with style. It is the improved version of Gel Rocket 7. The shoe has all the patented technology that is typically ASIC, such as:
– The Rear and Forefoot GEL Cushioning System absorbs shocks to the toe and heels during impact with the court surface. It also enables ease of movement while playing the game.
– The Trusstic System Technology to reduce the weight of the sole without compromising with its structural strength.
– The Gum rubber outsoles provide better traction and grip on the court surface.
The shoe has a lightweight mesh upper for breathability and air circulation. The foam-padded collar and tongue provide a snug comfortable feel. The midsoles are made of molded EVA which provides added shock absorption and cushioning to the soles of the foot.
It is available in several color combinations like White/Silver/White, Black/Black/White, White/Icy Morning, White/Silver/White, Mid Grey/Pink Glow, and Airy Blue/Silver/White.
- Very comfortable and has a good fit
- Very economically priced
- Very much suitable for beginners and intermediate players
- Stylish and vibrant color combinations
- None as such
3. ASICS Women’s Gel-Resolution 7 (Outdoor)
ASICS Women’s Gel-Resolution 7 Shoes are especially crafted for women with several distinct features. The Flexion Fit Upper provides a firm yet soft fit for comfort. The Solyte midsole provides softer cushioning, excellent bounce-back and better compression on impact. The SpEVA, which is a low-density material, is used in the insoles to offer a good soft and snug fit.
Rearfoot and Forefoot GEL Cushioning Systems absorb shocks on the toes and heels while making an impact with the court surface during jumps, lunges and sudden movements during play. The PGuard Toe Protector keeps the toes safe and ensures the durability of the shoe-toes.
The super AHARplus material is positioned at strategic points on the outsole to enable fast twists and turns, as well as to prevent excessive wear and tear while in use. There is even an anti-gravel tongue which stops dirt and debris from entering inside the shoe while playing outdoors.
The Ortholite sock liners are removable and control excessive moisture while providing additional cushioning. The Personal Heel Fit (PHF) Collar Lining comprises of two layers of memory foams that will mold itself to the heel shape after repeated use.
There is also the Impact Guidance System(IGS) technology to ensure stability. The Trusstic System reduces the weight of the outsole while giving strength to it.
The company also provides 6-Months warranty for the outsoles against wear and tear. The shoe is available in several color-coordinated styles including Glacier Grey / White/ Rouge Red, White / Silver.
- Provides total value with comfort plus other ASICS shoe technology
- 6-months warranty for the outsoles
- Unique Personal Heel Fit (PHF) Collar Lining with memory foam to take the shape of the wearer’s heels
- Anti-gravel tongue to keep out gravel, dirt, and debris while playing outdoors
- Removable Ortholite sock liners for excessive moisture control and can be easily washed
- No other cons except that the toes are a bit narrow
4. K-Swiss Women's Hypercourt Express (Outdoor)
The K Swiss Hypercourt Express is one of the top picks for women with its lightweight and comfortable fit. Its upper has a seamless construction involving Seamfree™ technology which joins seamlessly layers of TPU and breathable mesh. Durawrap technology prevents excessive toe-dragging.
The padded ankle collar provides good closure and support to the heels and the Heel Grip lining prevents the heels from slipping out of the shoes. There is a die-cut molded Ortholite EVA sock liner under the feet which provides extra cushioning and comfort while keeping the feet well-ventilated and moisture-free.
The midsoles also have GuideGlide technology for comfort while keeping the feet in place firmly. The outsoles are made out of Aosta high-density rubber for durability as well as good traction on the court surface. The herringbone design is to provide more grip and traction on the clay court. DragGuard is used in selected areas of the outsoles to prevent wear and make the shoe more durable.
It is available with the Stay-Tied Laces, which keep the laces firm in place, and is available in several color combinations like Coral Blush/White, Pastel Blue, Black/White, Blue/Aruba, Grey / Coral
- Well-padded textile ankle collar and plush cushioning comfort
- Die-cut EVA Sock Liner for extra cushioning and comfort during long wear
- Aosta Rubber outsoles for extra grip and traction with DragGuard Rubber to make the soles durable
- Shoes were found to be a tad bit broad on the toes
5. New Balance Women's WX608v4 Comfort Pack Training Shoe (Multipurpose – Indoor, and Outdoor)
New Balance shoes are scientifically designed and approved by an orthopedist for providing the best care, relief and ensure the health of the feet. Their shoes are based on their research and development findings. They are dedicated to providing the best shoes for athletes.
The New Balance Women’s WX608v4 Comfort Pack Training Shoe is not specifically tennis or a sports shoe, but rather more than just a one-sport shoe. It is a cross-training shoe and is designed for day-long comfort. The shoe has several unique features such as:
– Leather upper with synthetic overlays for durability.
– Dual-density foam padded collar which has a high-density foam for support and in the inside has a low-density foam for cushioning the feet.
– The ABZORB cushioning and compression system features DuPont Engage and slip-resistant rubber. This works in combination with a soft midsole and removable insert.
– It also has a comfortable and impacts cushioning memory MEVA foam for the midsoles which adapt to the shape and contours of the wearer’s sole.
– Even the laces are designed thoughtfully and made of stretch material that keeps the shoes fastened firmly yet comfortably.
– The rubber soles are non-marking even if played in a wooden indoor court. These have flex grooves for better traction and grip and also prevent slip-ups.
– Another useful feature is the Heel pull tab which lets you easily pull the shoe over your feet while wearing the shoe as well as when taking it off.
The New Balance Women’s WX608v4 is not just a cross-trainer but an all-purpose shoe that lets you stay on your feet longer while working harder.
- Multiple good features
- Dual-density foam padded collar
- ABZORB cushioning and compression system
- Non-marking rubber soles
- Heel-pull tab and lace-up system
- None worth mentioning, except that it is not a special pickleball shoe but a multi-purpose long-wear shoe.
6. Saucony Women’s Grid Stratos 5 (Multipurpose – Indoor, and Outdoor)
The Saucony Women’s Grid Stratos 5 has run up quite a reputation as a running shoe for women. It has a mesh synthetic upper for comfort and good breathability to keep the feet comfortable and dry. The overlays are weld through to make for a seamless and lightweight construction.
The Midsoles have Heel GRID system that provides heel strike cushioning against impact. These are made out of injection-molded EVA foam for good support and ability to absorb shocks.
The Outsoles are made of XT-600 rubber compound for good grip and traction on the surface. The shoe has soft fabric lining all around for a natural feel and can be worn for long hours without fatigue.
The lace-up closure is easy and stays firm. The brand logo is displayed prominently on the tongue and sides of the shoe. The shoe is available in several pleasing colors like Silver, Black, and Pink.
- Good reputation as a cross-training shoe
- Very comfortable and can be worn for long hours
- Good quality rubber outsoles provide ultimate grip and traction
- None very prominent or worth considering
The best pickleball shoes for men and women have been listed here for your convenience.
With more and more people going in for pickleball, it is necessary that you choose an appropriate shoe.
You should not go in for just any sports shoe that you may be having at home. Although no specific pickleball shoe exists, you can use the right shoe that protects your feet and improves your game.
Remember the difference between Indoor and Outdoor surfaces. Both surfaces have different characteristics and requirements. Your choice of shoe must be appropriate for the surface.