Pickleballlane is reader-supported. If you click a link on this page and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Pickleball is fast becoming one of the most popular games because it is not just an easy fun game that can be played for physical fitness with less exertion and more fun.
Besides, it is good for every age group. The rules are simple and anyone can play the game regardless of one’s skill level or fitness level.
To play pickleball, besides the mandatory paddles and the ball, you will just need a pickleball net. It would be advisable to have a good, reliable and durable pickleball net that is easy to carry around.
Best Pickleball Nets in 2019
1. 3.0 Portable Pickleball Net System (Set Includes Metal Frame and Net in Carry Bag) | Durable and Easy to Assemble
The 3.0 Portable Pickleball Net System is one of the most popular Pickleball net system with a very high rating from the buyers. This is the 3rd improved version of the company’s highly successful pickleball nets. The company has been in business for more than ten years.
The net comprises of high-quality black mesh and white vinyl net bindings. The carrying case also has pockets to hold pickleball paddles and balls. The frames are made of hollow steel tubing so that it is sturdy yet light.
It has wide legs to make it more stable and the set-up is convenient and fast. You can also raise the later crossbar to keep it off the ground and let the ball roll under the net, instead of the balls getting stuck at the net.
Here are the outstanding features of this Pickleball Net.
– The frame and net weigh just 22 pounds and can be conveniently carried in the carrying case.
– The well-designed metal frames can be set up within a few minutes.
– The stable base comprises of wide bent legs to withstand windy weather.
– The frame is made durable with powder-coating to prevent rust and decay.
– The unique Easy Buckle adjusters keep the net taut and straight by making it easy to adjust the net tension.
– The crossbars are raised to maintain correct height and for easy movement of balls without getting stuck at the nets.
- The net is portable and lightweight at just 22 pounds
- Easy and quick set up with snap-together frame components
- All metal powder coated frame for long life and durability.
- Stability to withstand even strong winds is ensure with unique bent and wide legs
- The 22-pound weight is considered too light
- The powder-coated frame gets scratched easily
- Not very resistant to rust
2. OnCourt OffCourt PickleNet - Easy Assembly / Official Pickleball Size
The OnCourt OffCourt began its operation in 1994 with tennis equipment and later moved into the pickleball sports arena. One of the USP of the PickleNet, among other outstanding features, is the compliance to the pickleball nets portable regulation size. This ensures that you get the same pickleball net that is used officially – which is 22’ x 34” in the center.
The present version of the pickleball net is highly rated by buyers and has several improvements over the earlier ones. The Picklenet is sturdy, yet portable and can be set up within minutes. For convenient carrying, it comes in a handy durable zippered nylon bag which also has several storage compartments for keeping your other pickleball accessories.
Let us take a look at some of its best features.
– The frames are made with powder-coated steel to make them more strong and durable.
– The frame uses patented oval tubings which help in faster set up.
– The oval tubing ensures automatic alignment of the center frame, unlike round tubings which may turn and twist.
– There is a proprietary elastic bottom net band. This helps in maintaining consistent tension on the net. It also prevents excess stress on the net mesh, thus increasing its durability.
– You also get a Velcro tension system at the top edge of the net which lets you adjust the tension of the net and keep it taut.
– At the edges, there are Vinyl headbands for protection to the net.
- A highly sturdy and portable pickleball net
- Weighs only 32 pounds
- Can be assembled within a few minutes
- Comes in an easy-to-carry nylon bags
- Oval steel frames powder-coated for durability
- Oval steel tubing help automatic alignment of the center frame
- The elastic bottom net band helps maintain consistent net tension and also protects the net
- Conforms to the Official Pickleball Height Standards, which is 22 ft wide and 34 inches high from the center
- Although quick to set up it is a bit difficult to separate
- Support bars are not very stable
- The net needs detangling while taking it out of the bag
3. Onix Pickleball Regulation-Size Portable Net Set
The best thing about Onix Portable Pickleball Net is that it complies to the USAPA regulation size, of 22 feet width and 34 inches height. So you can not only use it for practice and play with friends but also hold tournaments of your own.
The second best thing is, the sturdy carry case that comes with the net also has wheels at the base making it extremely easy for you to carry around. The net frame is made of inter-locking steel tubes that make it easy to quickly assemble the net. The base is made wider for stability.
There are adjustable straps and center posts to maintain the height and net tension. You can use this portable net anywhere – whether indoors in a gym or outdoors. The steel tubing frame makes it durable yet light. There is an adjustable Velcro strap to affix the net on the frame and keeps the net taut and straight.
Also provided is a center post to maintain the required height throughout the entire stretch of the net. The carrying bag has quite a portable dimension of 3 feet 4 inches of length, 7 inches of width and thickness of 5 inches. The net can be de-assembled easily and kept inside the bag.
– The net complies with the USAPA regulation size.
– The steel tubing frame makes it quite durable.
– Wide base for stability under windy conditions.
– Adjustable Velcro straps for ease of use and maintaining the tautness and tension.
– Centre post to prevent sagging and to maintain the required height
- Quick set-up and dismantling
- USAPA regulation size for proper practice and play
- Rugged yet light steel tubing
- Center support to prevent sagging at the middle
- Package includes a travel bag with wheels
- The carry-bag wheels are not very durable
- The net is not very strong
- The protective covering around the nets does not last long
4. USAPA Portable Pickleball Net System)
The USP of this product is that it comes from the USA Pickleball Association (USAPA) itself which makes it the most recognized and authoritative portable pickleball net. This is the original and official snap together frame net system and complies with the regulation size of 22 feet width, 36 inches height at posts, and 34 inches high at the center.
It has an improved oval post-frame which is more durable and sturdy. There is also a reliable center support rod and tension straps for the net which are adjustable. The net can be easily set up in a few minutes. The portable net system weighs only 32 pounds which makes it quite portable.
The steel frame is powder-coated to make it more durable and protect against rust. For easy assembly, the parts are numbered. The net has an elastic bottom which when properly stretched prevents sagging. There is vinyl trimming on the top and sides of the system for extra protection. The net itself is black in color and made of nylon.
The whole set can be easily packed in the tough nylon carrying case, which comes along with this purchase. The bag is about 3 feet long and 6 inches wide and has dividers and pockets to keep accessories.
– It is the official USAPA portable pickleball net.
– It comes in regulation-compliant size.
– The net is lightweight and has good portability and ease of assembly.
– The net system has a provision for center support stand and tension straps.
– The steel tubing frame is powder-coated to make it more durable.
- Simple and fast set up
- Conforms to the USAPA regulations
- No sagging at the bottom due to the elastic lining
- Despite numbering of parts, it takes time to set up
- It is too light and can’t stand breezy weather
5. Picklenet Classic Pickleball Net System
The Classic PickleNet portable net system by Picklenet is one of the earliest entrants of the portable nets. The latest product is an improved version with an all-black frame. The portable net system complies to the regulation size of 22 feet in width and 34 inches in height at the center. The net stands out in white against the black frame and has blue texts printed on it. The net is sturdy and made of a 42 Denier nylon netting.
There is a Velcro-tension system which is used to adjust the tautness and tension of the net. The vinyl headband over the net works as a protective covering over the edges. The patented center support rod is made of fiberglass. It gives support in the middle of the net and keeps the net firmly at the required height, without any sag, in the center of the court.
The system is easily portable as it weighs only 23 pounds. There is a functional carry bag to keep the net system so that you can carry it away easily.
– This is a USAPA Regulation size pickleball net system
– It measures 22 feet in length and is 36 inches high at the end posts and 34 inches at the center.
– Good, improved center support and wider bases and end support for more stability.
– Sturdy yet lightweight weighing just 23 pounds.
- Official regulation-sized net
- Sturdy yet lightweight construction
- Durable to withstand assembly and dismantling
- Center stand for maintaining height
- Velcro adjusters to maintain tension and tautness
- The nylon netting is prone to get tangled
- Dismantling is inconvenient as the pieces stick together firmly
- The central support stands fall quite often
6. PickleballCentral Rally Portable Pickleball Net System
The PickleballCentral company was founded by two pickleball enthusiasts who wanted specialized equipment for pickleball.
The Rally Portable Pickleball Net System is a top-end high-quality product that is very portable and can be set up in just a few minutes.
Besides being a portable net that can be carried anywhere, the regulation size net is good for practicing for tournaments and competitive games.
– The net system is made of a black steel frame that is powder-coated for durability.
– The net is in black and measures the official size of 22 feet in width.
– There is a Velcro adjustment system to keep the net taut and maintain the height of 34 inches at the center.
– Besides the two posts at both the ends, there is a central support post which helps maintain the height.
– The system has oval tubing, instead of round ones. This helps in avoiding the twisting and turning of the joined components.
– The raised crossbars across the net are at a higher level so that the balls do not get stuck there. This helps easy retrieval during play.
– The net system comes in an easy-to-carry nylon carry-bag which has several compartments and dividers to hold all the components. The whole set-up weighs about 31.9 pounds
- The frame includes a holder to hold 8 pickleball which is a very convenient feature.
- The regulation size allows you to practice for tournaments.
- Easy to set up that takes just a few minutes.
- Powder-coated durable steel frame
- An attractive and sleek black look
- Velcro straps for adjusting the net to keep it taut
- The raised crossbar allows the balls to roll underneath to be picked up easily
- A durable carry-case is included in the package
- At 32 pounds is heavier than those weighing 22 pounds
- Good in windy weather but can’t handle breezy conditions
- Rust-resistant but not rust-proof
Why You Should Have a Pickleball Net?
Having your own pickleball net is not only good as a morale-booster, but it also enables you to play at your own convenient time. You do not need to rush to go anywhere to play with your friends. Having your own net will let you play or practice as much as you want. This will improve your playing skills.
Pickleball is also considered a social sport that makes emotional bonds with family and friends. You can invite your friends whenever you feel like. You can play with your family and relatives in the convenience of your home.
The portable pickleball net can be assembled and put up within a few minutes, in your driveway or your backyard. After the game is over, you can easily dismantle the net and pack it conveniently in the custom-made carry-bag that comes with the net.
Having your own pickleball net is not just a matter of convenience, but also shows your commitment and love for the game of pickleball.
What to Look For in a Pickleball Net?
For the best experience and improvement of your skills in pickleball, you must have a good pickleball net. Here are a few pointers that you should keep in mind while buying a pickleball net.
a. The net should conform to the regulation size. Playing with a standard-sized net elevates your practice. You will be comfortable and used to playing with a tournament-sized net. So when you play competitive pickleball your strokes will be more accurate and helps you gain an advantage.
b. Choose a durable pickleball net. You would want your net to last for quite a few seasons. Check the mesh of the net. It should be made of high-quality material.
c. Examine the quality of the posts on which the net is supported. The posts should be strong and sturdy. The posts should also be stable enough to support the nets under adverse or windy weather.
d. Avoid nets which do not have anything to prevent it from sagging and hanging loose. The net must maintain its required height at the center.
e. Do not buy nets that do not conform to the USAPA regulation size. Remember that a pickleball net must be 22 feet in width, 36 inches at the ends and 34 inches in height at the center.,
f. Avoid nets made out of cheap materials. Look at a pickleball net as a good long-term investment, rather than just a way to save a few dollars.
Choosing a pickleball net may be difficult, with so many available to choose from.
The ones listed here have all the functionalities and the robustness that you might be looking for in a portable net that gives you the best value for your money.
This listing and review of the best portable pickleball nets should provide you enough inputs to make a well-informed decision when you go about picking the one for yourself.
You will appreciate your decision for a long time to come and beyond several seasons of playing pickleball.
Hope the above review has enriched you with the knowledge needed to choose the best pickleball nets available in the market, suiting your requirements. Check my another recent post about best pickleball paddle.